Green Smoothies Q&A

Q: Can you freeze your spinach for green smoothies?

I have prepackaged fruit smoothie ingredients into individual servings and I would love to do the same thing with green smoothies. Has anyone tried freezing their spinach before using it? Should I blanch it? Does it change the flavor or texture of the smoothie at all? My idea was having my frozen fruit and spinach in baggies so all I had to do in the morning was throw it in the blender and add water or juice. Thanks!

A: Yes you can freeze them as is no problems.

A: it should make it look greener, but much depends on what else you put in it and how much. i dont really trust prepackaged fruit so i wud wash them well before putting them in

A: blanch it first.
Remember, you can buy frozen spinach...

A: I do that, I blanch fresh spinach and then puree it with a bit of the cooking liquid, freeze it in ice cube trays, I have dozens I got from the Dollar marts, I do my yogurt, soya protein and fruits to like this, then I drop a few in the blender, add some soya milk, yogurt, soya lecithin and sweetener, buzz and I have a full level protein shake for my breakfast.

-------------------------

Q: I love green smoothies I was told that mixing fruit with veg's causes the foods to forment in your stomach?

I love green smoothies (which are fruit smoothies with spinach or kale added)

A friend of mine said that it is bad to eat fruit WITH vegetables because it causes both to FORMENT in your stomach.....(?) is that B.S. or true?

A: B.S.
How would you explain salads with raisins or cranberries on it.
How would you explain gazpacho soup, it contains a variety of vegetables as well as tomatoes, tomatoes are fruits.
As food is broken down in the digestive tract fermentation does occur but that is natural and a process of the flora in your body doing what it has to do to enable the body to utilize the nutrients in the food.

A: all food ferments in your stomach.

If you drink milk it ferments, the stomach acid curdles the alkaline milk.
If you eat potato and other starches there is an enzyme in the stomach that breaks down the food, it is meant to do that.

if you ewant to get into food combining you wont eat protein and starch together- no bread and cheese, or pasta with cream or cheese. No smoothies with yoghrt AND fruit- that is carb and protein.
Its not a bd thing but its completely boring to do this food combining stuff, it is really limiting, and in fact youre not supposed to eat melon with anything, as it takes longer than other foods, and cant' even be eating with other fruit.

ALL food is broken down by stomach acid in the natural part of digestion.

Actually if you only eat on etype of food- it is a bit quicker to digest, but this way of eating is hardly practical.
YOu can't even eat ceareal with milk.

Fruit and veg together are OK.

Fruit is carbs and so are a lot of veg- potatos have carb, tomatoes have hardly any, pineapple has a lot, it's all about the sugar when it comes to fruit and some veg has a lot os fructose and sugars too.

Spinach is fine, ignore the terror alert.What next- it's dangerous to eat healthy?

Nit picking

A: No. That isn't true. It's very healthy for you, and there is no bad result of mixing fruits and vegetables. It's very strange what kinds of rumors spread...

Source: Yahoo! Answers